Sri Kunj Bihari Mandir, Penang
224, Shri Kunj Bihari, Penang Road, Georgetown, 11600 Penang, Malaysia.
The Sri Kunj Bihari Mandir, also known as Krishna Mandir (Temple) as well as Thakorwadi, is the first (and probably only) Northern Indian temple in Penang. It was built in 1835 after receiving an endowment from the Hindus from Bihar in North India in 1833. The temple came under The Hindu Endowments Board in 1906. From then onwards this temple has been administrated by the management committee appointed by the Endowment Board. At that time, the area around the temple was a settlement for the North Indian community comprising the Punjabis, Gujaratis, Sindhis, Bengalis and Uttar Pradeshi Bhaiyas.
According to historical records, Sir George Leith, the Lieutenant Governor of Prince of Wales island, granted a piece Ismail in 1803. From there many years were to pass before a temple was built. It was to be one of the two main Vaishnavite temples in Penang, dedicated for the worship of Vishnu as the supreme deity. Priests for the temple had to be imported from India.
While the lineage of priests serving the temple going back to its founding years have been lost to time, oral testimony has allowed the temple authorities to trace its roots back to the early 1900’s. One of the earliest known priests of the Sri Kunj Bihari Mandir was Pandit. Sri Charan Bhatacharjee born in 1866 and arrived in Penang in 1904.
The Sri Kunj Bihari continued to serve as the religious centre for Hindus from various ethnic backgrounds. Sri Bahari Road nearby is said to take its name from this temple.
Temple Management Committee
RAJENDRA KUMAR A/L MOHANLAL
NARESHCHANDRA A/L SHIVLAL JAKISANDAS
ASHA RAMESHCHANDRA MOHANLAL
R. ANEL SHARMA
MANOHAR SHAMDAS BAKHTANI
HIMANSHU BHATT A/L ARUNKUMAR
SANJAYAKUMAR A/L RAMANLAL
KISHIN PIRSHOTAM NAINANI
DATO DR. P.P. SHAH
SAKUNTALA A/P SHIVLAL
RAJENDRA PRASAD A/L SHANDIRAM